Saturday, March 29, 2008

In a Cashmere kind of Direction

Designing has gotten under my skin.

Here's one I've been working on for a while now (and yes, daydreaming counts as "working").
Photobucket
I've named it Lodestar, after one of my favouritest songs.*
The plan is to give it a little arrowhead lace pattern, staggered across the body (which will not be shaped). This may turn out to be disastrous, but the current idea is to give the garment shape by wrapping a wide-ish ribbon around the bodice a la ancient Greek goddess.

You probably don't need me to tell you this, but laceweight cashmere doesn't put up with frogging. It quickly lets you know just how vicious you are by SNAPping, thus causing you to reconsider your delicate design notions.
But I will prevail!
A goat has never gotten the better of me, nor will any of it's soft belly fur.

In other news:

The Capecho is chug-chugging along. An unfortunate feature of this design is that you've no idea how it will fit until you're entirely finished. So, I hold my breath as of yet.
At the very least, I find the construction pretty interesting. I've never knit any of Norah Gaughan's patterns before. I like the way she thinks.


Lodestar by Sarah Harmer, on the album, "You Were Here".

3 comments:

Kai said...

The design looks very interesting. I like the idea of a ribbon tie waist.. Waiting patiently to see what you come up with! :)

Hilary said...

Very cool - I can't wait to see where this goes. I also love the idea of a wide ribbon wrapped all around.

Carol said...

Eeek! snapping cashmere?!!! and you are right, Norah Gaughan is nifty.